What dwells in you controls you. What you think about, hear, read, and watch—good or bad—you soak these things up like a sponge. That’s why it is essential that we let the Word of God dwell in us! Explore the Bible is a book-by-book Bible study for adults, students, and kids designed to do just that—to help us know the Word deeply and allow it to dwell in us. Specifically, Explore the Bible helps participants understand each text in the context of the entire Bible, promoting an accurate understanding of the text, and preparing them to live out the text in their own life context.
If you are about to begin Explore the Bible in your church, the information below is intended to help you prepare and spread the word in your church.
What to Communicate About Explore the Bible Before you do anything, familiarize yourself with Explore the Bible. The people you lead, or lead with, will also need to become familiar with everything as well. Here are some essential questions and answers that provide an overview of Explore the Bible.
Why Explore the Bible? For every Christian, a deep knowledge of the Word helps make the difference between a shallow faith and a life of trust and obedience. This intimacy with the Word develops as we dedicate our lives to reading and studying it personally, in community with others, and regularly examining how it should impact us every day.
What is the Purpose of Explore the Bible? Explore the Bible helps small groups and Sunday School classes of all ages go deep into God’s Word through book-by-book Bible study. These studies frame biblical truths within their greater biblical context to ensure a proper understanding of each passage. Participants are then challenged to live on mission in their own life context.
What is the Intended Outcome of Explore the Bible?
To develop people who know Christ and personally exhibit:
- Spiritual disciplines •
- Continual repentance
To develop servants in the community of faith that:
- Actively participate and engage
- Serving others with their spiritual gifts
What are indicators that Explore the Bible is working?
- People and groups grow in their knowledge of and love for Scripture.
- Families are equipped to grow stronger together as they apply the Bible to their lives.
- The discussion that takes place within the sessions will build community around the truths of God’s Word.
- By studying Scripture in context, your people will be equipped to understand the intent of Scripture and better apply it in their daily lives.
- As a result, your people will begin to share how living out their faith has impacted their daily lives.
How to Effectively Get People on Board with Explore the Bible Once the decision has been made to switch to Explore the Bible, it is important to begin communicating the transition as soon as possible. If you are a pastor or leader begin meeting with ministry and group leaders. If you have several group leaders, host training specifically focused on Explore the Bible. Here are some resources that can help you cast vision and train your leaders as you transition to Explore the Bible Regardless of how long you have until your launch, you will want to introduce Explore the Bible, train your leadership, and then promote Explore the Bible to your church.
Step 1: Introduce We encourage you to introduce these elements in a meeting and follow up with your leaders via email:
- Share the Explore the Bible Study Plan. (Download by clicking here.)
- Preview Explore the Bible here and send your team sample sessions.
- Link them to some Videos from Explore the Bible.
Step 2: Train These elements can be introduced in a meeting or through email. If you decide to send them via email, follow up with a phone call to encourage your leaders to look at the materials, clarify anything that needs to be communicated, and answer any questions they may have:
- Explore the Bible Training Videos
- Detailed Schedule for Semester/Quarter (create your church’s own schedule or follow the leader guide table of contents)
- Teach through an Explore the Bible session
Step 3: Promote Share the news of Explore the Bible with your congregation.
- Invite your congregation to follow Explore the Bible on Twitter, or Facebook.
- Share Explore the Bible Videos.
Then, invite your congregation to pray for your church as you step into a book-by-book journey through every book of the Bible! Watch God change lives as people allow the Word of God to dwell in them and transform them. The Word of God does not return void!