Explaining salvation to a child is one of the fundamental roles a parent and or teacher can have when interacting with children. It is important to remember that the Holy Spirit will guide the conversation and illuminate for the child what the Spirit needs them to know. A few things to set the stage before we get started.
- Understand that the Bible teaches about children and salvation.
- Know that you personally have a relationship with Christ and you can tell your story.
- Be ready to share the message when the opportunity presents itself.
Here are a few tips to consider when you explain salvation to a child.
1. Don’t complicate the message. God made the message of salvation easy and accessible to anyone. Don’t try and complicate the message by using words kids won’t understand.
2. Have a conversation. Asking open ended questions and listening will go a long way to helping a child understand what salvation is and gives you a better grip on what questions they might truly want the answers to. If a child asks about baptism they might not be asking about salvation, their intent might truly be to understand what baptism is. By having a conversation you can determine what their true desire is.
3. Allow the child to express his own ideas. By active listening we can let the child lead the conversation and help them better understand.
The Gospel God’s Plan for Me is a quick and easy way to share this important truth with kids.
- God Rules: The Bible tells us God created everything, including you and me, and He is in charge of everything. Read Genesis 1:1; Revelation 4:11; and Colossians 1:16-17.
- We Sinned: Since the time of Adam and Eve, everyone has chosen to disobey God (Romans 3:23). The Bible calls this sin. Because God is holy, God cannot be around sin. Sin separates us from God and deserves God’s punishment of death (Romans 6:23).
- God Provided: Read John 3:16. God sent His Son, Jesus, the perfect solution to our sin problem, to rescue us from the punishment we deserve. It’s something we, as sinners, could never earn on our own. Jesus alone saves us. Read Ephesians 2:8-9.
- Jesus Gives: Jesus lived a perfect life, died on the cross for our sins, and rose again. Because Jesus gave up His life for us, we can be welcomed into God’s family for eternity. This is the best gift ever! Read Romans 5:8; 2 Corinthians 5:21; or 1 Peter 3:18.
- We Respond: We can respond to Jesus. “The ABCs of Becoming a Christian” is a simple tool that helps us remember how to respond when prompted by the Holy Spirit to the gift Jesus offers.
- A—Admit to God that you are a sinner.
- B—Believe that Jesus is God’s Son and receive God’s gift of forgiveness from sin.
- C—Confess your faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.